Before I get into the play by play of our evening, I have to say that when I think back on when I was a kid (gosh just saying that makes me feel old!) I remember all the great traditions we had preparing and celebrating the holidays. I think its these great memories that make me want to pour so much time and effort into making the holidays special for our family and kids.
But the last few holidays we've celebrated with our kids (birthdays, Christmas, and now Easter) have been nothing like I remember from my childhood. Maybe its because I'm no longer "the kid", maybe its because our kids are still a bit young, what ever it is the whole process of preparation is a lot messier than I remember. Having my mom here to help us decorated eggs remind me that no matter how messy the floor got, no matter how many eggs got broke, no matter how many sprinkles we went thru, and no matter how many cookies with frosting the kids ate the most important thing was just to have fun. And that we did.
I started by dissolving the color tablets in water and my mom did her best to explain to a 2 and 4 year old proper egg dunking techniques. Only problem with this was the word "dunk." Benn knows this word well and when he says it, its usually followed by a curling of the wrist and slamming of what ever object is in his hand in a basket, the sink or (the obvious) a hoop. Needless to say, more than half of our eggs cracked due to his "dunking" technique and all around roughness. It was so funny, we didn't have the heart to tell him to be gentler.
Avah's egg coloring style in action...first the wax crayon, very serious, and meticulous.
Grandma's helping Benn color eggs.


Benn's egg coloring style...the messier the better!
The finished Egg product. From this picture you can't see all of the cracks, but trust me...they're there. Still beautiful in my book though!
After we colored the eggs, we had to let them dry before we could put stickers and tatoos on them so we frosted and decorated some Easter cookies that I had backed right when I got home from work that evening.
Again, my expectations for this may have been a bit high. I thought we could all sit around the table, frost and put sprinkles on the cookies. What actually happened was the kids each put a huge glob of frosting on their cookies, dumped a pile of sprinkles right in the middle, then they became more interested in eating them than decorating the rest of the cookies. So, we changed our plans and my mom and I finished frosting, then let the kids help put sprinkles on.
All in all, it was a great night and although the kids are young and may not remember, I hope they'll enjoy looking at these pictures later and reading about the fun times we had.
Frosting and sprinkling cookies. Notice Benn is more concerned with eating than decorating his cookie. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment